Taverns of Prince George’s County
Join us for our fall reception November 11, 2:00 pm at the Berwyn Heights Town Center.
Learn about the owners, the clientele and the role taverns played in the history of our County. Historian Susan Pearl will present her research on this cheerful topic. Ms. Pearl currently runs the Prince George’s County Historical Society’s DeMarr Library. Before her retirement, she worked for the County’s Historic Preservation Section and surveyed most of the historic houses in Berwyn Heights.
The Rossborough Inn featured here was constructed 1798-1812 by John Ross to serve as a way station for weary travelers on the old Baltimore Pike. In 1858, the house and surrounding tract of land was donated by Charles Benedict Calvert to the Maryland Agricultural College. Having served a multitude of purposes, today it houses UMD’s Undergraduate Admissions Office. UMD Archives holds a series of photos of the Inn, some of which are shown in a 2017 article of Terp Magazine found online at http://terp.umd.edu/an-historical-inn-vestigation/.